“Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest we take between two deep breaths. – Etty Hillesum”
Ever feel like a zombie or find yourself feeling caught up in the routine of daily life? Sometimes, we forget to take care of ourselves. When we forget to do this, we can desensitize ourselves to the point that we can get ourselves into situations and/or states of emotion and thought where we have no idea what’s going on.
Implementing self care into each day can make a tremendous difference in the balance of your life. Here are a few quick tips you can do everyday to help you maintain a happy mind and body.
- Sleep – sleeping is a great way to shut off your mind and reboot. Getting sleep and resting well are necessary to staying alert and energized in our waking life. At times as a working professional, life can feel like a frenzy. Sleep is good for your entire system. You’ll be surprised at how much you can accomplish with a well-rested body and mind.
- Create a Win Journal – Keep a separate Journal to solely document your wins for the day. Some examples might be: complimented self, watched a movie, started a business, helped someone, gave to charity, invested, achieved a new financial goal, created a new invention, built a birdhouse. The list is limitless.
- Schedule Time Alone – Do something fun by yourself. To remind yourself, write down a list of all your favorite things to do. Choose from this list to spend quality time enjoying.
- Grooming – For men and women, we have our preferences for how we maintain and style our hair and nails. Some find it therapeutic to do their own haircuts, manicures, and pedicures. Some prefer to find a favorite barber, salon, or nail place.
- Skincare – Exfoliate, cleanse, and moisturize.
- Hydrate – 75% of Americans are clinically dehydrated. The commonly recommended amount is eight, 8-ounce glasses of water per day, which is the equivalent to 1/2 a gallon of water. Be conscientious of intake habits that cause dehydration as well, such as alcohol, caffeine, and high-sodium foods.
- Meditate – Take a few minutes or more to relax and calm your mind before acting. Think about all the things you are thankful for as well as the positive qualities you love about yourself.
- Exercise – Go for a brisk walk, hit the gym, or favorite recreational activity. A great time is early morning to kick off your day. If you can, lay out your work out gear the night before and schedule yourself to wake up a little earlier to get the air and energy flow in your system.
- Listen to Music – It feels good and doesn’t take much effort to enjoy.
- Laugh/Smile – Participate in solo or group activities that make you smile or laugh.
Take good care of your mind and your body, it will take good care of you. They are your most valuable assets and deserve proper self care. Remember to take care of yourself.